One of the most important days of the entire building process, BLUE TAPE DAY! This day is essentially your last walk through before closing and your job is to mark everything that needs to be fixed in the home. I honestly didn’t know what to look for on this day so I brought my friends in to help (which I wasn’t suppose to do, but didn’t find out until the same day).
First and foremost, you will NOT find everything that needs to be corrected. You can blue tape the entire house and still find a few things wrong when you move in. No house is 100% perfect and that’s okay.
Second, look over your last inspection report to see everything that needs to be corrected. An inspector will catch things you might never notice.
Lastly, if you don’t catch the errors until after closing, chances are the builder will most likely still take care of it. You might wait a few days or weeks but majority of your home falls under warranty. Ours is 2 years but check yours.
Here are some things to check off and some tips to make Blue Tape day go smoothly!
- Start visiting the home 1-3 days prior to check for imperfections
- Feel free to start putting blue tape up. Our construction manager blue taped a week prior and caught several things
- Don’t be afraid to blue tape everything if necessary. You’re purchasing the home!
- If you see major errors before Blue Tape day (ex: wrong location of light fixture or anything that requires cutting drywall), let your builder know. It’s better for them to have time to fix it versus trying to fix it from the time frame of blue tape day to closing
- Make a list of major errors on that day so you have a reminder.
WHAT TO CHECK!